Translate

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Expanse

We only have a short amount of time to work this out.

Across this great expanse of life on Planet Earth we need to understand the beginning and the ending.

With our beginning come words like....
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you..." (Jer. 1.5)
And with our ending we hear...
"I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes
in me will live, even though they die..." John 11.25
Before we took a step or breathed a breath, God knew us. And when life on earth has come to an end because our bodies could take no more, God promises life.

Between those two moments on earth, birth and death, what will we learn? What will we experience? Who shall we come to know? What will we become? Why do we exist and what are we here for?






The word expanse it not commonly used in reference to the human life.
Webster's would use it most generally with water.

Definition of EXPANSE

2: great extent of something spread out <an expanse of calm ocean>

The human life is one of the most delicate, complex, and down right scary expanses there can be.

One thing has become clear for me and it is still working it's way to fruition in my life.
This expanse belongs to God.

I didn't bring myself into this world and I don't choose when it is time to go.
And, when this life is over God has already made plans.

It has taken a rather ridiculous amount of time for me to begin to wrap my heart and mind around the idea that God already has things set in a way he wants things to go.
Not that I don't get some kind of input here and there...
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Luke 11.9
and also....
 "Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." John 16.23
This life, however, belongs to Him.
It is His and he can do with it what He wants.
"The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2.20
But, it wasn't always so.
I made my own decisions, and at times, I still struggle with allowing Him to lead the way. 

This space between birth and death is short.
"Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures;
yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow, 
for they quickly pass, and we fly away. " Psalm 90.10
 One of my favorite bands, Audio Adrenaline, had a good line to describe this thing we call life.
Life! too much to do and too much strife  Life! your girlfriend left ya and it cuts life a knife   Life! seventy years and a nagging wife Life! you look in the mirror and it's Barney Fife               from the self titled album Audio Adrenaline, 1992

Since it is what it is, what am I doing with it?
Have I realized just how short the time is?
Does God have control of my life during this brief expanse on earth?
Or will I leave Him out of the picture?

So much to contemplate during these brief seventy years on this earth, if we get that long.

What will you do with the few years you have on this earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment